HSG47 in Live Substations
This product is operated by DCR Training Ltd.
The HSG47 Training Programme is designed to:
- Ensure familiarity with the practices of underground service avoidance
- Provide the ability to monitor the personnel being set to work to ensure compliance with HSG47
A key objective of the training programme is to ensure that individuals have an understanding of the operation of the cable avoidance tool and the signal generator, including its operation in a live high-voltage environment. Ten National Grid substations have been selected which provide a suitable high voltage environment and an area for the alternative excavation technologies practical demonstrations.
Training will take place at an operational Substation. Individuals require Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to comply with relevant policies. They must also be at least National Grid Person authorised and Basic Electrical Safety Competence (BESC) assessed.
Individuals will acquire or refresh knowledge of the requirements of HSG47 (Avoiding Danger from Underground Services) and the specific issues of avoiding danger from underground services in a high-voltage substation environment.
On completion of the course individuals will be able to:
- Describe the problems associated with the use of cable avoidance equipment in a high-voltage substation environment.
- Describe the methods which can be employed to ensure optimum equipment operation in this type of environment.
- State the requirements of HSG47.
- Describe the dangers from underground services.
- State the requirements for managing contractors when they are engaged in this type of work.
- Describe the requirements for planning the work in accordance with HSG47.
- Explain how plans and utility searches assist in the avoidance of underground services.
- Describe the process for underground mapping.
- State the requirements for safe systems of work in accordance with HSG47.
Individuals are required to have BESC:AME and to complete pre-course questions.
The length of this course is 2 days for the initial course and 1 day for a refresher course.
Registration on EUSR is valid for 3 years from date of training.
Find Out More
If you would like more information on the course please click here.
An Endorsed Training Programme is a training package that has been approved by Energy & Utility Skills as meeting its objectives. They are offered by private companies and any questions relating specifically to that training package should be directed to the appropriate provider.